In response to the continued COVID-19 pandemic, the Transport Division introduced that it’ll assist cross-border autos with expired license plates return to Hong Kong from mainland China or Macau for automobile inspection, in order that drivers can renew their Hong Kong license plates.
Please word that this measure is just a brief association, and functions might be accepted from now till June sixteenth this yr.
Assist stranded autos return to Hong Kong for license renewal
Based on the Transport Division, as necessary COVID-19-related quarantine continues to be in place, some cross-border autos are stranded in mainland China or Macau and haven’t returned to Hong Kong. Throughout this time, the license plates could have expired.
The Transport Division is conscious that some automobile house owners will prepare for cross-border towing companies to tow their autos again to designated automobile inspection facilities in Hong Kong for automobile inspection, after which undergo procedures for renewing their licenses.
Cross-border automobile license renewal procedures
The brand new measures particularly help house owners to return to Hong Kong to finish the automobile inspection and license renewal procedures. Right here is the process:
- Eligible automobile house owners should submit an utility kind to the Transport Division 2 weeks earlier than the proposed return date of the automobile, and are liable for arranging native towing service by themselves.
- The Transport Division will then approve functions and gazette exempted autos, and profitable candidates will obtain an approval letter with the desired date said.
- Eligible cross-border autos may be pushed again to Hong Kong by way of the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge Port on the desired date by a chosen driver who has efficiently utilized for Return2hk or Come2hk Scheme with the approval letter from the Transport Division. The automobile ought to use a chosen route and park on the designated automotive park/designated place on the Hong Kong Port of the HZMB.
- Candidates ought to rent native towing service to tow the automobile from Automobile Park No. 3/designated location on the Hong Kong Port of the HZMB to the designated automobile inspection heart in Hong Kong for automobile inspection.
- After passing the automobile inspection, automobile house owners will undergo the related procedures for renewal of the automobile licenses.
Please word that an permitted automobile have to be coated by legitimate third-party legal responsibility insurance coverage for Hong Kong, the “Obligatory Insurance coverage for Motor Automobile Site visitors Accident Legal responsibility” for Mainland China, and statutory automobile insurance coverage for Macau (relevant to Hong Kong cross-border autos stranded in Macau) on the day of return.
Learn extra: HZMB Automobile Insurance coverage
As talked about beforehand, the measure is a brief association. Purposes might be accepted from now till June sixteenth, and the variety of autos allowed to return to Hong Kong might be capped each day. For particulars on the preparations, drivers could name 2804 2600.
Paperwork required for making use of for cross-border automobile license renewal
The finished utility kind ought to be submitted along with the next related supporting paperwork:
- A replica of the approval doc issued by mainland China – i.e. a sound Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao motorized vehicle site visitors and driver’s driving approval discover (digital approval card) issued by the Guangdong Provincial Public Safety Bureau (not relevant to holders of the common quota for Hong Kong and Macau non-public automobiles);
- If the automobile is owned by an organization, a duplicate of the corporate registration certificates/non-Hong Kong firm registration certificates/firm identify change certificates/registered non-Hong Kong firm identify change registration certificates (enterprise registration certificates is not going to be accepted);
- A replica of the Hong Kong automobile registration doc;
- The Return2hk or Come2hk appointment certificates legitimate on the day the designated driver returns to Hong Kong;
- A replica of the ID doc and legitimate Hong Kong full driving license of the designated driver;
- A replica of the legitimate Hong Kong full driving license of the designated backup driver;
- Affirmation of towing service appointment;
- A replica of the Hong Kong third-party legal responsibility insurance coverage coverage legitimate on the date of return to Hong Kong;
- Further paperwork relying on the place the automobile is getting back from:
- Coming back from the Mainland/Macau: a duplicate of the Mainland’s “Obligatory Motor Automobile Site visitors Accident Legal responsibility Insurance coverage” legitimate on the date of return; and
- Coming back from Macau: A replica of Macau’s statutory automobile insurance coverage legitimate on the day of return (relevant to autos stranded in Macau).