With the epidemic nonetheless with us, hiring overseas home helpers is turning into increasingly difficult, and on high of that, it’s needed to contemplate points corresponding to meal and lodging bills when hiring overseas helpers. Consequently, extra households are turning to housekeeping assistants (also called hourly helpers) for normal assist with family chores. However do you know that as an employer, you might want to get insurance coverage protection to your housekeeping assistant as properly?
On this Kwiksure article, we’ll check out the scope of labor of housekeeping assistants, their hourly charges, and insurance coverage protection.
Housekeeping Assistants: Their Scope of Work and Hourly Charges
Housekeeping assistants are typically liable for vacuuming and mopping the ground, tidying up the place, washing and ironing garments, cleansing bogs (i.e. the bathroom, sink, bathtub, bathe space) and the kitchen (i.e. the exhaust fan, range, sink, fridge, ceramic tiles), and different family chores. Cooking, nonetheless, is normally not a part of the package deal, so you may anticipate to must pay additional for cooking on high of cleansing.
The going charge is about HK$100 to HK$250 per hour, relying on the assistant’s expertise, employer’s finances, and dimension of the house, and there’s normally a minimal cost equal to three hours’ wage. Sometimes, a 400 – 800 ft unit will take 4 – 5 hours, whereas items over 800 ft will take greater than 5 hours to scrub.
On high of that, the service time slot (corresponding to earlier than 9:00 a.m., or throughout peak seasons corresponding to simply earlier than the Chinese language New 12 months) and placement (whether it is distant corresponding to in an outlying island) may also have a bearing on the price ranges.
Do you might want to get housekeeping assistants insured too?
As a matter of reality, whether or not you’re hiring housekeeping assistants, postnatal caregivers or caregivers specializing in caring for new child infants or the aged, and although their jobs are part-time in nature and they’re paid by the hour, you’re required to take out an insurance coverage coverage below Part 40 of the Workers’ Compensation Ordinance, to cowl the employer’s legal responsibility within the occasion of unintentional demise or harm of the assistant whereas on the job. Failure to take action could end in a nice of HK$100,000 and imprisonment for two years.
That’s true even in case you rent your hourly helper by means of one of many common platforms corresponding to HelperGo, Lazy App, or Toby: you continue to must buy labour insurance coverage or home helper insurance coverage your self, as a result of these platforms won’t assist you safe insurance coverage.
4 Main Errors to Keep away from When Shopping for Home Helper Insurance coverage
- Earlier than you apply, bear in mind to examine what sorts of house responsibilities are lined by the insurance coverage, as a result of no compensation might be out there for sorts of work exterior of the descriptions. Ensure, additionally, to examine the age restrict for the helper (sometimes 60 or 65 years of age).
- Essentially the most primary home helper insurance coverage, also called “worker compensation insurance coverage” or “labour insurance coverage”, normally costs a premium of round HK$300. These plans can already compensate the worker with as much as HK$100 million per accident. Some plans will cowl the lack of life or harm to property suffered by third events, brought on by accident or negligence on the a part of the helper.
- Keep in mind that every labour insurance coverage coverage will solely cowl one tackle. In different phrases, in case you have a number of properties that have to be cleaned by a housekeeping assistant, you’ll need to purchase an insurance coverage coverage for each of your properties, in any other case the assistant won’t be lined whereas working on the web site.
- Insurance coverage firms pay particular consideration as to whether a housekeeping assistant has obtained formal coaching.
- Totally different insurance coverage are wanted for various kinds of work, so bear in mind to fastidiously examine the precise sorts of work lined earlier than buying. To provide you an instance, postnatal caregivers or caregivers who handle the aged already require safety plans completely different from these required by the overall housekeeping assistant.