A genuinely mixed-bag of UK property information emerges from the current headlines – from worries about botched work by cowboy builders, residing an extended life in Kent and the housing disaster growing in Devon.
For the reason that tales are properly rounded off by a prediction on the state of the housing market within the coming yr, let’s take a more in-depth look.
A 3rd of house owners delay renovating as a consequence of worry of botched jobs
One in three householders is delay any thought of renovating their property by means of worry of the job being botched by cowboy builders – one thing that has already occurred to an estimated 13% of householders previously 12 months – in line with a narrative within the Each day Mail on the 4th of December.
The newspaper went on to recommend methods of sorting the sheep from the goats – or, on this case, dependable and competent builders from the rogues:
- the story cites the Federation of Grasp Builders which inspires householders to hunt out private suggestions for explicit builders, focus on the job with different tradesmen, and at all times insist on a contract of labor;
- be ready to attend whereas respected builders put together their quotes for the requested work – and shun those that declare to be accessible instantly;
- a variety of internet sites may also help you slim down the selection – MyBuilder and Rated Folks, for instance, allow you to submit your venture and invite potential builders to submit their quotes to you whereas Checkatrade and TrustATrader listing tradesmen in your space, along with evaluations from current prospects.
Along with these precautions, householders may additionally need to single out these builders with explicit credentials and membership of the related skilled or trades physique.
Calls to provide landlords higher due diligence on future tenants
Improved “due diligence” on the kind of tenants to whom landlords grant tenancies can be a greater resolution than the proposed repeal of Part 21 of the Housing Act, argues an article in Landlord Right this moment on the threerd of December.
Part 21, in fact, is the so-called “no-fault” path to eviction that has been accessible to landlords however which the federal government proposes to abolish within the proposed Renter’s Reform Invoice.
The article in Landlord Right this moment argues the case for retaining Part 21 – due to the rights it provides landlords to evict irresponsible tenants and to repossess their property – and the focus on higher due diligence in recognizing prematurely which tenants are more likely to show irresponsible, unreliable, or outright fraudulent.
Wish to reside longer? Then transfer to Detling in Kent
If on-line listings web site Rightmove is to be believed a transfer to Detling, close to Maidstone, in Kent, may very well be the reply to an extended life.
It has develop into probably the most sought-after addresses within the UK since Public Well being England revealed that inhabitants of the world have the very best life expectancy anyplace within the UK.
Whereas the nationwide life expectancy for females is 83, the womenfolk of Detling reside till a mean of 95. The place the nationwide common for males is 80, in Detling males reside a mean of six years longer till they’re 86.
Council chief declares ‘housing disaster’ in Devon
Second-home possession, escalating home costs, and a scarcity of inexpensive rental lodging have created a housing disaster in Devon, reported the BBC on the threerd of December.
In a transfer supported by all events throughout the political spectrum, Devon County Council has resolved to kind a strategic housing process drive to handle the issues and challenges of a housing market that has been “distorted immeasurably” within the phrases of 1 Council-member.
At present included within the listing of attainable options is the Council’s monetary assist in offering housing for key employees within the space and a lobbying marketing campaign aiming to steer MPs in Westminster of the necessity to tighten up tax loopholes loved by homeowners of second houses and vacation lets.
The UK housing market predictions for 2022
In a posting on the 3rd of December, the Purchase Affiliation associated on-line listings web site Rightmove’s prediction of the most important traits that may be anticipated within the UK housing marketplace for 2022:
- after a yr of radical change – most notably the swelling tide of working from residence (wfh) and the surge in out-of-town property costs that adopted – market circumstances in 2022 might have stabilised considerably;
- nonetheless, home costs will most likely proceed to rise – by as a lot as 5% over the yr or a rise of some £17,000 on the typical value of a house;
- because the variety of sellers will increase and extra houses come onto the market, the quantity of transactions is more likely to be much less frenzied than final yr;
- transactions can even be inspired by the prepared availability of mortgages, says Rightmove.
The housing market in London is more likely to proceed to be considerably extra sluggish than the remainder of the nation though there are marked variations between one borough and one other – simply as there are notable variations throughout the UK’s areas.