Julie Rovner is chief Washington correspondent and host of KHN’s weekly well being coverage information podcast, “What the Well being?” A famous knowledgeable on well being coverage points, Julie is the creator of the critically praised reference e-book “Well being Care Politics and Coverage A to Z,” now in its third version.
Whereas repealing the Inexpensive Care Act appears to have fallen off congressional Republicans’ to-do listing for 2023, plans to chop Medicare and Medicaid are again. The GOP needs Democrats to agree to chop spending on each applications in alternate for a vote to stop the federal government from defaulting on its money owed.
In the meantime, the nation’s well being care staff — from nurses to docs to pharmacists — are feeling the pressure of caring not only for the rising variety of insured sufferers in search of care, but in addition extra significantly in poor health sufferers who’re troublesome and generally even violent.
This week’s panelists are Julie Rovner of KHN, Joanne Kenen of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg College of Public Well being and Politico, Tami Luhby of CNN, and Victoria Knight of Axios.
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg College of Public Well being and Politico
Among the many takeaways from this week’s episode:
- Conservative Home Republicans are hoping to capitalize on their new legislative clout to slash authorities spending, because the battle over elevating the debt ceiling provides a preview of potential debates this 12 months over pricey federal entitlement applications like Medicare.
- Home Speaker Kevin McCarthy stated Republicans will shield Medicare and Social Safety, however the elevation of conservative firebrands — like the brand new chair of the highly effective Home Methods and Means Committee — raises questions on what “defending” these applications means to Republicans.
- Document numbers of Individuals enrolled for insurance coverage protection this 12 months below the Inexpensive Care Act. Years after congressional Republicans final tried to repeal it, the as soon as extremely controversial program often known as Obamacare seems to be following the trajectory of different established federal entitlement applications: evolving, rising, and changing into much less controversial over time.
- Latest stories present that whereas Individuals had much less hassle paying for well being care final 12 months, many nonetheless delayed care resulting from prices. The findings spotlight that being insured shouldn’t be sufficient to maintain care inexpensive for a lot of Individuals.
- Well being care staff are rising louder of their requires higher staffing, with a nursing strike in New York Metropolis and up to date stories about pharmacist burnout offering a few of the newest arguments for a way widespread staffing points could also be harming affected person care. There’s bipartisan settlement in Congress for addressing the nursing scarcity, however what they might do is one other query.
Plus, for further credit score, the panelists suggest their favourite well being coverage tales of the week that they assume you must learn, too:
Julie Rovner: Roll Name’s “NIH Lacking High Management at Begin of a Divided Congress,” by Ariel Cohen
Tami Luhby: CNN’s “ER on the Discipline: An Inside Have a look at How NFL Medical Groups Put together for a Sport Day Emergency,” by Nadia Kounang and Amanda Sealy
Joanne Kenen: The Atlantic’s “Don’t Worry the Handshake,” by Katherine J. Wu
Victoria Knight: The Washington Submit’s “‘The Final of Us’ Zombie Fungus Is Actual, and It’s Present in Well being Dietary supplements,” by Mike Hume
Additionally talked about on this week’s podcast:
The New York Instances’ “As France Strikes to Delay Retirement, Older Employees Are in a Quandary,” by Liz Alderman
Stat’s “Congressional Medicare Advisers Warn of Larger Drug Costs, Regardless of New Value Negotiation,” by John Wilkerson
To listen to all our podcasts, click on right here.
KHN (Kaiser Well being Information) is a nationwide newsroom that produces in-depth journalism about well being points. Along with Coverage Evaluation and Polling, KHN is likely one of the three main working applications at KFF (Kaiser Household Basis). KFF is an endowed nonprofit group offering data on well being points to the nation.
USE OUR CONTENT
This story might be republished without cost (particulars).
We encourage organizations to republish our content material, freed from cost. Right here’s what we ask:
You will need to credit score us as the unique writer, with a hyperlink to our khn.org website. If potential, please embrace the unique creator(s) and “Kaiser Well being Information” within the byline. Please protect the hyperlinks within the story.
It’s essential to notice, not all the things on khn.org is offered for republishing. If a narrative is labeled “All Rights Reserved,” we can not grant permission to republish that merchandise.
Have questions? Tell us at KHNHelp@kff.org